Wednesday, September 4

BIG CLOSURE: Loop 1604 ramps to NB I-35 (northeast San Antonio)

Crews will close the ramps from Loop 1604 onto northbound I-35 Sunday, Sept. 8, to allow safe construction of support structures on a new northbound exit ramp from I-35 to Forum Parkway.

The ramps will remain closed for about a month. Traffic will instead exit Pat Booker Road and follow the frontage road through the Forum Parkway intersection before entering northbound I-35. This closure will impact traffic on Loop 1604 in both directions.
 
With the ramps from Loop 1604 to northbound I-35 closed, traffic will exit Pat Booker Road and follow the frontage road through Forum Parkway.
Timing of the signal at Forum Parkway will be adjusted to accommodate the heavier traffic flow from the closure.
 
Local residents and commuters are advised to try alternate routes – like FM 2252 through Garden Ridge or FM 78 through Converse – to reach their destinations.
 
The ramps from Loop 1604 onto northbound I-35 will be reopened by early October. The northbound exit to Forum Parkway from I-35, which has been closed since late January, should be finished before the holiday shopping season.
 
The new Forum Parkway exit will be a braided-style ramp, with exiting vehicles bridging over traffic from Loop 1604 to northbound I-35. The effort is part of the $24 million expansion of I-35 through Selma and Schertz, adding an auxiliary lane in each direction between Loop 1604 and FM 3009.