Monday, August 26

The next big thing: Loop 1604 at I-35 (northeast SA)

Drivers on the northeast side might soon take note of message boards warning of the closure of the ramp from Loop 1604 to northbound I-35.

That's the ramp that handles all traffic from Loop 1604 onto northbound I-35. The ramp getting folks onto southbound I-35 will not be impacted.

The ramp needs to close for about a month while our construction contractor works on what's called a straddle bent, or a support structure, that will hold up the bridged northbound ramp from I-35 to Forum Parkway. Traffic will use the Pat Booker Road exit, and reach northbound I-35 by utilizing the frontage roads and going through the Forum Parkway intersection.

With the Loop 1604 ramps to northbound I-35 closed, traffic will be diverted through Pat Booker Road and will use frontage roads to reach their destinations.
And yes, we know. This will probably get ugly.

For those who live, work and play in this area routinely, you'll find some respite by using some alternate routes. I recommend using FM 2252 - also called Nacogdoches Road inside Loop 1604 - which connects Loop 1604 and FM 3009. FM 78, which runs through Universal City, is another viable route.

You might have a few ideas of your own. I encourage you to explore them now so you're ready to roll when we start this work.

One last point, just for emphasis: I do not yet have an exact starting date for this traffic change. However, it is coming soon, and will likely last about a month (give or take a week).

And that's the plan for now.