May 9-10, a Saturday and Sunday, Williams Brothers Construction will close the main lanes on U.S. 281 at Nakoma Drive to set bridge support beams to form the new south-to-north turnaround. The southbound lanes will close Saturday (May 9) and the northbound lanes will close Sunday (May 10). For both directions, traffic will exit Nakoma, pass through the intersection (we will have officers in place) and re-enter the road.
The turnaround will accommodate traffic from eastbound Wurzbach Parkway wanting to travel north on U.S. 281.
Once the beams are set, bridge crews will use overnight closures during upcoming weeks to set bridge deck panels and pour concrete. Expect to see these overnight closures happen almost nightly for the next several weeks.
Williams Brothers is still on pace to have the parkway opened this summer - nearly six months ahead of the contracted expectation.
Between now and then, WB is working on:
- The two new northbound exit ramps along U.S. 281 (one for Wurzbach Parkway and one for Bitters Road)
- The new northbound entrance ramp from Nakoma Drive and Wurzbach Parkway
- Some bridge work on the Parkway overpasses at U.S. 281
- Some remaining bridge work on the Nakoma turnarounds
- Electrical work along the parkway
- Final surface of asphalt project-wide
- New surface of asphalt on U.S. 281