Friday, May 17

Heads-Up: I-35 & FM 1103 Closed This Weekend

We've got a major closure this weekend on I-35 in Comal County with an extended detour for local residents but no impact to mainlane traffic.

Our contractor on this project, Anderson Columbia, will be closing the I-35 overpass/bridge at FM 1103 and the northbound frontage road between FM 2252 and FM 1103 beginning at 7 a.m., Saturday, May 18 until 5 a.m., Monday May 20.

As part of this closure, the I-35 northbound exit ramp (Exit 178) to FM 1103 will not be accessible to traffic. The intersection of I-35 northbound frontage road and FM 1103 will also be closed -- drivers planning to exit the highway at FM 1103 will be diverted to exit at FM 3009 for a designated detour route (see map).

Please note: I-35 mainlanes in both directions as well as the southbound frontage road will NOT be affected and will remain open at all times.

This detour route from I-35/FM 3009 to FM 78/ FM 1103 is 9.5 miles long and it’s primarily directed for local residents trying to get on I-35 northbound. 

The northbound frontage road entrance ramp at FM 2252 will be open to drivers so they can access the mainlanes prior to the closed intersection.

The need and purpose for this closure is for milling and placing hot mix asphalt to build up the intersection of FM 1103 and the I-35 northbound frontage road.

Electronic message boards will be placed on site in advance alerting drivers to be prepared for the closure. We will also have law enforcement officers on site to help direct traffic flow.

Despite all these preparatory and cautionary measures, we encourage drivers to seek alternative routes and otherwise expect delays in the area of the closed intersection.