Tuesday, August 20

I-10 & SH 46 in Boerne: Retaining Wall Work Requires Turn Lane Change

Lots and lots of work going on in Boerne, we know!

As part of our project on I-10 improvements between Scenic Loop Road and SH 46, our contractor has begun working on the retaining wall at the I-10 & SH 46 intersection.

You may have noticed this has had an impact on the existing SH 46 bridge/overpass over I-10.
 itself. In order to safely conduct this retaining wall work, the contractor was required to remove the northbound SH 46 right lane, which in turn forced to take away the dedicated left-turn lane to get on the I-10 westbound frontage road (see map above). 

So the one open lane is being used both for left turns as well as for through-traffic continuing on SH 46 past I-10. The traffic light has been adjusted to reflect this traffic flow change. As you may expect, this necessary move will cause delays, as drivers waiting to go straight through will have to wait until those making the left turn clear out (these in turn have to yield to southbound SH 46 traffic coming the other way).