Tuesday, April 21

I-10 in Far East San Antonio: Say Goodbye to the Current Graytown Road Bridge


We’re at it again with another significant change to the I-10 corridor in Far East San Antonio. Just when drivers in the area have settled in with one-way frontage roads and various traffic switches, they’re about to notice something is missing within our most recent mainlane expansion project limits between Loop 1604 and Pfeil Road. 
Starting this Friday, April 24, the existing Graytown Road crossing at I-10 (shown to the right) will be closed for the long term, and our contractor will begin removing the overpass. Drivers wishing to cross I-10 will be detoured to the underpass at Pfeil Road located slightly farther east.
The demolition of the existing crossing will require a full closure of the I-10 mainlanes between Graytown Road and Pfeil Road starting at 9 p.m. on Friday, April 24 and continuing until 5 a.m. Monday, April 27. Drivers will be directed to take the following detours:
  • Eastbound mainlane traffic will take the Graytown Road exit and re-enter the mainlanes on the newly constructed temporary entrance ramp located east of Graytown Road.
  • Westbound mainlane traffic will take the newly constructed temporary Graytown Road exit ramp and re-enter the mainlanes at the next entrance ramp.
The Graytown Road crossing at I-10 will ultimately be reconfigured to an underpass and will be located west of the current overpass to align with the eastbound and westbound I-10 frontage road intersections. This will create a straight and seamless crossing of I-10 and will improve safety and mobility for drivers traveling on I-10, particularly for those driving freight trucks or other large vehicles.

For more information, visit the project website for I-10 East from I-410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County Line. You may also join our email list to receive updates on major changes and progress on the I-10 improvement projects and follow our Twitter feed (@TxDOTSanAntonio) for ongoing traffic updates.