Friday, July 2

Highway Improvements Continue: I-410/I-10 East Interchange Project Set to Begin in Far East San Antonio


 

When Americans launch the last of their fireworks this 4th of July, the Texas Department of Transportation’s (TxDOT) San Antonio District will launch a $100 million effort to improve one of the city’s most important interchanges.

Beginning the week of July 5, TxDOT will start a 38-month project to improve a portion of the I-410/I-10 East interchange in east San Antonio. Williams Brothers Construction Company, Inc. will construct the project and Raba Kistner, Inc. will help TxDOT manage it. The work focuses primarily on the way drivers access eastbound I-10 and southbound I-410. The new design includes a new direct connector from northbound I-410 near East Houston Street to eastbound I-10 near Ackerman Road and a new southbound I-410 connector from westbound I-10 near Ackerman to southbound I-410 near East Houston Street.

In addition to improvements that will make travel through the interchange more efficient, the contractor will also rebuild the southbound overpass at Houston Street as part of the I-10 to southbound I-410 connector. Frontage road improvements, retaining walls, high-mast and center lane lighting, drainage improvements, and new asphalt pavement on sections of northbound I-410 from I-10 northward are also included in the work.

I-10 construction on San Antonio’s east side isn’t anything new. Since 2016, drivers and businesses have become more than familiar with road work. Through a series of reconstruction projects, TxDOT has been working to increase capacity to meet the growing traffic demand by upgrading the highway to current safety and design standards and address deteriorating pavement conditions. Those projects include:

·         I-10 East from Foster Road to Graytown Road – Includes various safety and mobility improvements. The project began in 2016 and was completed in fall 2020.

·         I-10 East from I-410 to Loop 1604 - Reconstruction along an approximately 6.7-mile section of I-10, including additional travel lanes and improved exit and entrance ramps. Work began in fall 2018 and is expected to be complete this summer.

·         I-10 East from Loop 1604 to Pfeil Road – Reconstruction along an approximately 2.8-mile section of the highway, including added travel lanes, bridge reconstruction, and frontage road improvements. The project began in early 2020 and is expected to be complete in 2024.

·         I-10 from Graytown Road to the Bexar County line Reconstruction of approximately 5 miles of highway, including added travel lanes and frontage road and ramp improvements. The project began in late 2020 and is expected to be complete in 2024.

The upcoming I-410/I-10 East interchange project is the first in a series of planned improvements for the entire I-410/I-10 East interchange system in the coming years. It is a critical step towards providing safer and better ways of traveling San Antonio for the 83,000 drivers who use the interchange each day.

Drivers and businesses can expect periodic traffic shifts, lane closures, and detours through the course of the project. For updates, check out the Go Ahead! Blog. Updates are also available on TxDOT San Antonio’s Facebook page at  @TxDOTSanAntonioTx and @TxDOTSanAntonio on Twitter.