Thursday, August 10

CONSTRUCTION TO CLOSE MAJORITY OF I-10 AND I-410 INTERCHANGE IN EAST SAN ANTONIO STARTING THIS WEEKEND



Drivers traveling I-10 and I-410 in east San Antonio should gear up for major delays beginning this weekend and into next week. The I-10 and I-410 interchange on the city’s east side will close to continue building the eastbound I-10 to southbound I-410 flyover ramp. The closures will occur over the weekend and nightly throughout the following week and cause long delays.

Beginning Friday, August 11 at 8 p.m., workers will close all east and westbound lanes of I-10 and all northbound lanes of I-410. The work will occur throughout the weekend and into early Monday morning, August 14. The interchange will be open before morning rush-hour traffic.

Workers will then repeat the closure each night beginning Monday, August 14, through Thursday, August 17, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.



During the closures, traffic at the construction zone will be diverted to the frontage roads and other roadways. However, drivers are encouraged to avoid the work zone and find alternate routes, including I-35, I-37, and Loop 1604.

Construction zone detours include:

  • Eastbound I-10 traffic will detour to southbound I-410, exit at Rigsby Ave., enter northbound I-410, and take the eastbound I-10 exit.
  • Westbound I-10 traffic will detour to northbound I-410, turn around at Rittiman Rd., and continue on southbound I-410 towards the westbound I-10 exit.
  • Northbound I-410 traffic will exit E. Houston St., continue on the frontage road, use the turnaround at Ackerman Rd., and re-enter northbound I-410 at the next available ramp.

The closures are part of TxDOT’s $100 million effort to build two new flyover ramps and make other needed transportation improvements at the I-10 and I-410 interchange. In addition to the flyover ramps, the project  also includes frontage road, drainage, and lighting improvements. Williams Brothers Construction Company, Inc., the project contractor, expects to complete the project in 2025.

The I-410/I-10 East interchange project is part of TxDOT’s Texas Clear Lanes initiative that aims to reduce congestion and improve safety on the most congested corridors in the state.

All construction lane closures are weather permitting and subject to change. Stay connected on TxDOT San Antonio’s Twitter feed, @TxDOTSanAntonio, Facebook page, @TxDOTSanAntonioTX, or the Go Ahead! Blog for ongoing construction and traffic updates.