Thursday, July 24

Major closure this weekend: I-35

Within TxDOT, we make a big deal trying to maintain a difference between construction projects and maintenance. It boils down to capital improvements or to us just fixing stuff. 

This blog is dedicated to the construction side of things, though to most normal drivers the difference is so subtle it's completely indiscernible. With that in mind, here's some info on a major maintenance closure this weekend:

We will close all lanes of I-35 at N. New Braunfels Ave. this weekend while repair crews remove a beam from the N. New Braunfels Ave. overpass bridge. This impacts northbound and southbound traffic.

 

The closure will begin Friday night at 9 p.m. The highway will reopen in time for Monday's morning commute. New Braunfels Ave. will also be closed at I-35 for this work.

 

Additionally, the connector ramps from northbound I-37 to northbound I-35 and southbound U.S. 281 to northbound I-35 will be closed.

 

DETOURS:

•         Northbound I-35 traffic will exit at N. New Braunfels Ave. Traffic will remain on the frontage road and re-enter the main lanes before N. Walters Ave.

•         Southbound I-35  traffic will exit N. New Braunfels Ave. Traffic will remain on the frontage road and re-enter the main lanes after the N. New Braunfels Ave. bridge.

•         Traffic heading to the AT&T Center will exit N. New Braunfels Ave. and continue on the frontage road to AT&T Parkway.

•         Traffic on N. New Braunfels Ave. will turn right onto the frontage road and use turnarounds to reach its destination.

•         Northbound I-37 traffic will take the I-410/Airport exit and travel on eastbound I-410 to northbound I-35.

•         Southbound U.S. 281 traffic will take eastbound I-10 to northbound 410 to northbound I-35.

 

Drivers should consider alternate routes due to long traffic delays. Police will be used at some intersections to improve the flow of traffic.