Monday, February 24

Next Up On I-10 In Far East San Antonio: Frontage Road Conversion & New Underpass


For those who have lived in Texas for a while, you may remember a time when two-way frontage roads were the norm along major highways throughout the state, including right here in the San Antonio region. 

If you’re really into transportation like we are, you also may have noticed our steady transition away from that original two-way design to one-way frontage road access, particularly in urban areas.

One-way frontage roads are better equipped than two-way frontage roads to handle high traffic volumes and frequent entrance/exit ramp merges – common traffic issues in urban and growing areas. 

One-way frontage roads improve mobility and safety by keeping traffic flowing in the same direction and removing potential conflict points at entrance and exit ramps and at intersections with cross-streets.

A local example of the transition to one-way frontage roads can be seen in action along I-10 on San Antonio’s Far East side: In 2017, our contractor Texas Sterling began converting frontage roads from two-way to one-way access between Foster Road and Graytown Road as part of a larger corridor-wide effort to widen and reconstruct I-10 from Loop 410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County line (and ultimately, overall improvements on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston).

Although the I-10 frontage roads west of Graytown Road have been operating with one-way traffic for a while now, things are just getting started on the next section of I-10 to the east of Graytown.

On Monday, March 2, contractor Jordan Foster will begin conversion of the I-10 frontage roads between Graytown Road and Pfeil Road. This work will include the addition of a new temporary eastbound entrance ramp just east of Graytown and a new temporary westbound exit ramp to Graytown, set to open by April.

Here’s what you can expect to see in this area beginning the first week of March:
  • The left frontage road lane will be closed on both the eastbound and westbound sides of I-10 between Graytown and Pfeil. 
  • Eastbound I-10 frontage road detours: All eastbound I-10 frontage road traffic must travel in an eastbound direction in the right lane. Drivers wishing to access westbound I-10 will continue traveling east to Pfeil and turn around. The Graytown overpass may also be used to access westbound I-10 until April 2020, when the bridge will be removed. Drivers wishing to access the eastbound I-10 mainlanes will continue east to the next entrance ramp.
  • Westbound I-10 frontage road detours: All westbound I-10 frontage road traffic must travel in a westbound direction in the right lane. Drivers wishing to access eastbound I-10 will continue traveling west to the Loop 1604 turnaround. The Graytown overpass may also be used to access eastbound I-10 until April 2020. Drivers wishing to access the westbound I-10 mainlanes will continue west to the next entrance ramp.


It is important to note that while left-lane closures will only be required temporarily for construction of frontage road and bridge improvements, the one-way frontage road traffic pattern will be permanent

Once the left lanes reopen, they will carry traffic heading in the same direction as the right frontage road lanes.

Also, just as a heads-up for those who initially plan to use the Graytown overpass as a detour: As mentioned above, crews are planning to remove, reconfigure and relocate this bridge as part of mainlane improvements in this area. 

Demolition of the existing Graytown bridge (see below, right) is currently anticipated for April 2020. Westbound I-10 drivers wishing to access Graytown Road south of I-10 may take the Pfeil Road exit and travel south on Pfeil Road or continue to the Loop 1604 turnaround.

The existing Graytown overpass will ultimately be relocated and rebuilt as an underpass that seamlessly aligns with the eastbound and westbound I-10 frontage road intersections at Graytown Road. We will provide more details on this blog site as they are confirmed.

For more information, visit our website for I-10 East from I-410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County Line

You may also join our email list to receive updates on major changes and progress on the I-10 improvement projects as well as follow our Twitter feed @TxDOTSanAntonio for up-to-the-minute updates and developments.