Friday, February 7

The Wait Is Over: Ackerman Ramp on I-10 In Far East San Antonio Set To Reopen


A shout-out to drivers and businesses along I-10 in Far East San Antonio who have gracefully endured the months-long closure of the eastbound exit ramp to Ackerman Road. Now, a light at the end of the tunnel: A new and improved ramp is set to open next week.

The existing exit ramp to Ackerman Road has been closed since late June 2019, when our contractor on the I-10 mainlane expansion project between I-410 and Loop 1604 switched eastbound traffic to the median area between W.W. White Boulevard and Rosillo Creek. This switch was necessary to allow crews to begin reconstructing the outside eastbound mainlanes and shoulder.

Last summer’s traffic switch required adding a temporary connection from the northbound I-410 exit ramp to the newly constructed pavement in the I-10 median area to accommodate .higher volumes of traffic heading from northbound I-410 to eastbound I-10. This in turn required a long-term closure of the existing I-10 exit ramp to Ackerman Road to avoid conflicts between cars entering and exiting the mainlanes in this area.

The Ackerman exit ramp was originally scheduled to reopen last fall, but the contractor extended the closure through early this year to knock out some additional improvements to the connecting ramp from northbound I-410 to eastbound I-10 (which would've required another closure of the Ackerman exit ramp in the future). Luckily, the northbound I-410 to eastbound I-10 connecting ramp improvements are almost complete and crews are planning to reopen the Ackerman exit ramp by morning commute this Monday (February 10).

Final preparations for the ramp opening will take place this weekend. This work will require closures of the right eastbound mainlane from I-410 to Ackerman Road, as well as closures of the northbound and southbound I-410 ramps connecting to eastbound I-10 from 9 p.m. Friday, February 7 to 5 a.m. Monday, February 10.

DETOURS:

Southbound I-410 drivers wishing to access eastbound I-10 will exit at FM 1346/E. Houston Street, turn around, travel on the northbound I-410/eastbound I-10 frontage road through the Ackerman Road intersection, and enter the eastbound I-10 mainlanes east of Ackerman.

Northbound I-410 drivers wishing to access eastbound I-10 will exit at FM 1346/E. Houston Street, travel on the northbound I-410/eastbound I-10 frontage road through the Ackerman Road intersection, and enter the eastbound I-10 mainlanes east of Ackerman.

The existing eastbound I-10 detours to Ackerman Road will remain in place until the new ramp is opened. Eastbound I-10 drivers wishing to access Ackerman have two options:
  1. Exit to the southbound I-410 frontage road, turn around at FM 1346/E. Houston Street, travel on the northbound I-410/eastbound I-10 frontage road through the Ackerman Road intersection, and enter the eastbound I-10 mainlanes east of Ackerman.
  2. Remain on eastbound I-10 and exit to Foster Road, turn around, and travel on the westbound I-10 frontage road back to Ackerman. 
For more information, visit our website for I-10 East from I-410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County Line. You may also join our email list to receive updates on major changes and progress on the I-10 improvement projects as well as follow our Twitter feed @TxDOTSanAntonio for up-to-the-minute updates and developments.