Friday, September 28

Next Up: Interstate 10 East Expansion Project

Drivers will soon encounter additional construction on I-10 in east San Antonio, as work begins on a three-year project to widen the interstate from four to six lanes between I-410 and Loop 1604. 

Initial work will focus on construction of new temporary pavement on the shoulders of both eastbound and westbound lanes from just west of I-410 to Foster Road (see map below).

Overnight traffic closures and temporary traffic shifts in both directions will be required throughout the project to accommodate construction work. Nighttime work and, when necesary, accompanying traffic closures, will generally be scheduled between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday evenings through Friday mornings, while daytime work will take place Mondays through Saturdays (we will do all we can to avoid rush hour closures).

This much-needed project will improve safety and mobility and help reduce congestion for I-10 East travelers and is just one of several improvements being made to this corridor. Other ongoing improvements in the area include the construction of a new overpass at Woodlake Parkway, the reconstruction of overpasses at Foster Road and FM 1516 and the conversion of frontage roads from two-way to one-way access (as is being done on I-10 West between San Antonio and Boerne).

We will post scheduled weekly traffic updates and overnight lane closures for all I-10 East construction here on the blog, starting with this week’s scheduled traffic changes.

Nightly lane closures are scheduled for Monday, Oct. 1 through Friday, Oct. 5, from west of I-410 to east of Ackerman Road, to allow crews to place barriers and begin temporary pavement construction along the outside edge the roadway. These closures are weather permitting and subject to change:
  • EB I-10 mainlanes from west of I-410 to east of Ackerman Road: The right lane will be closed nightly from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 1 through Friday, Oct. 5. The entrance ramp from I-410 to EB I-10 will also be closed. Drivers traveling from I-410 to the EB I-10 mainlanes must stay on the EB frontage road through the Ackerman Road intersection, then enter the freeway using the next entrance ramp.
  • WB I-10 mainlanes from east of Ackerman Road to west of I-410: The right lane will be closed nightly from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 1 through Friday, Oct. 5. The entrance ramp just east of Ackerman Road will also be closed. Drivers wishing to access the WB mainlanes must stay on the frontage road through the Ackerman Road intersection, proceed to the collector road, then enter the freeway using the next entrance ramp (see map below).