Thursday, July 25

Construction Update: Weekend Closures & Traffic Switch On I-10 In Far East San Antonio

As work progresses on improvements to I-10 in Far East San Antonio between I-410 and Loop 1604, we want to give eastbound drivers a heads-up about upcoming traffic pattern changes (“switch”) in the eastern end of the project construction zone this weekend, weather permitting.

You may have noticed new concrete pavement recently placed in the center median area of I-10 from just west of I-410 to Loop 1604. This new pavement will eventually become part of the final I-10 footprint that includes one additional mainlane in each direction. In the meantime, it will be used to temporarily accommodate traffic while the existing I-10 mainlanes and shoulders are reconstructed. 

This weekend, eastbound mainlane traffic is scheduled to be rerouted to the new concrete pavement on the eastern-most section of the project between Woodlake Parkway and Loop 1604. 

Confused thinking we just did that? Not quite. A similar eastbound mainlane traffic shift to new pavement was put in place earlier this month on the western-most section of the project from just west of I-410 to Rosillo Creek. Additionally, a third shift will be required this fall when the middle section of new concrete pavement is complete.

This weekend’s traffic switch will allow crews to begin demolishing existing bridges on I-10 at Martinez Creek and FM 1516 and reconstructing the existing eastbound mainlanes. Additional weekend work will include drainage improvements at southbound Loop 1604 and I-10. As you may recall from the last switch, rolling it out requires closures. 

Starting at 9 p.m. Friday, July 26, through 5 a.m. Monday, July 29, plan for the following chronological sequence:
  • Eastbound mainlanes of I-10 will be reduced to one alternating lane between Woodlake Parkway and just west of Loop 1604 as crews begin installing traffic barriers to implement a traffic switch to the new concrete pavement in the former center median,
  • From around 12 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, July 27, both eastbound mainlanes will be closed from FM 1516 to Loop 1604. DETOUR: All eastbound mainlane traffic will take the FM 1516 exit, travel through both the FM 1516 and Loop 1604 intersections and re-enter I-10 after Loop 1604. Police officers will be on site helping direct traffic.
  • One lane of eastbound traffic will re-open and shift to the new concrete pavement around 9 p.m. Saturday while the eastbound exit ramp from I-10 to FM 1516 will be closed to allow crews to tie the ramp into the new concrete mainlanes. DETOUR: Eastbound motorists seeking to access FM 1516 should instead exit at Loop 1604 and take the westbound frontage road back to FM 1516.
  • All eastbound mainlanes are expected to re-open by 5 a.m. Monday, July 29.
  • All southbound lanes of Loop 1604 will be closed at I-10 from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday for box culvert installation. DETOUR: Southbound traffic on Loop 1604 will go west to FM 1516, turn around and travel on the eastbound I-10 frontage road to get back on Loop 1604.
  • As always, your patience is appreciated as we transform this section of I-10 from a rural four-lane highway to a modern urban full freeway. Again, this plan is weather permitting and subject to change if necessary during implementation.
For more information, visit the TxDOT webpage for I-10 East from I-410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County Line.