Friday, September 6

Ready For This? Series Of Overnight Closures Next Week On I-10 In Far East San Antonio

Engineering fans, geek out on this.

Our ongoing work on the I-10 mainlane expansion project in Far East San Antonio will require a complex series of overnight closures of Ackerman Road, I-10 westbound mainlanes and ramps connecting I-410 and I-10. 

The process entails closures and detours revealing a method to the madness that we attempt to unpack for you here.

For starters, if you drive this are often you already know that the eastbound I-10 exit ramp to Ackerman Road remains closed to traffic while crews work on the outside eastbound mainlanes. We bring that up not just as a reminder but also for context, since this ongoing closure further complicates these additional steps that need be taken now. 

There is good news out of all of this, believe it or not -- next week’s closures are temporary and will only impact overnight traffic, plus let’s not forget that an additional (third) westbound I-10 mainlane will be opened to traffic following this work.

For those whose night travels will take them through the area during the closure period, we’ve prepared a navigation guide to help you reach your destination as quickly and painlessly as possible:

Closures of I-410 Ramps to Eastbound I-10 – Overnight Sunday, Sept. 8
Crews will be closing both the northbound and southbound I-410 ramps connecting to eastbound I-10 from 7 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 8) through 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 9) morning to make needed asphalt repairs. Only one ramp will be closed at a time.

NORTHBOUND I-410 RAMP DETOUR: Northbound I-410 drivers accessing eastbound I-10 will take the cloverleaf exit ramp to westbound I-10, stay in the right lane and take the next cloverleaf ramp to southbound I-410, then take a third and final cloverleaf ramp from southbound I-410 to eastbound I-10 (see map below).



SOUTHBOUND I-410 RAMP DETOUR: Southbound I-410 traffic needing to access eastbound I-10 will stay on I-410, exit at FM 1346/E. Houston St., turn around, enter the northbound I-410 mainlanes and take the connecting ramp to eastbound I-10 (see map below).




Closures of Ackerman Road at I-10 – Overnight Monday, Sept. 9 & Tuesday, Sept. 10 

Crews will be placing beams for the I-10 bridge over Ackerman Road on Monday and Tuesday nights, which will require the closure of Ackerman Road in both directions under I-10 from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. each night.

DETOUR: Northbound Ackerman Road traffic will take the I-10 eastbound frontage road to Foster Road, turn around and take the I-10 westbound frontage road back to Ackerman Road. Southbound Ackerman Road traffic will take the I-10 westbound entrance ramp just west of Ackerman, stay in the right lane, take the I-410 South connecting ramp, travel southbound on I-410, exit to FM 1346/E. Houston St., turn around and take the northbound frontage road back to Ackerman Road (map below).



Closures of I-10 Westbound Mainlanes & I-410 to Westbound I-10 Ramps – Overnight Wednesday, Sept. 11

Crews will be restriping the westbound I-10 mainlanes at I-410 on Wednesday night to allow for the opening of an additional (third) lane to traffic traveling westbound from I-410. This will require a two-phased closure that will be in place from 9 p.m. Wednesday, September 11 until 5 a.m. Thursday, September 12.

Phase 1: Beginning at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, all I-10 westbound mainlanes will be closed between the exit ramp to I-410 and the I-10 westbound entrance ramp located just west of the I-410 interchange as crews restripe the left lane.

DETOUR: All westbound I-10 traffic will be directed to the I-410 exit ramp, stay left on the parallel collector-distributor road that travels under I-410 and re-enter I-10 westbound just west of I-410 (map below).



Phase 2: Once the left (inside) westbound mainlane of I-10 has been restriped, that single lane will be reopened to traffic and the westbound parallel collector-distributor road that travels under I-410 will be closed at the I-410 interchange. The ramps connecting I-410 to westbound I-10 will also be closed (map below).

WESTBOUND I-10 DETOUR: All I-10 westbound through-traffic will be directed to the left (inside) mainlane.

SOUTHBOUND I-410 RAMP DETOUR: All southbound I-410 traffic needing to access westbound I-10 will stay on I-410, exit at FM 1346/E. Houston St., turn around, enter the northbound I-410 mainlanes, take the connecting ramp to eastbound I-10, exit to Foster Road, turn around and enter the I-10 westbound mainlanes just west of Foster.

NORTHBOUND I-410 RAMP DETOUR: All northbound I-410 traffic needing to access westbound I-10 should take the connecting ramp to eastbound I-10, exit to Foster Road, turn around and enter the I-10 westbound mainlanes just west of Foster.



As always, thank you for your patience as we make great progress on expanding and improving I-10  I-10 in this area. For more information about all improvements along I-10 in Far East San Antonio, visit https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/san-antonio/i-10east-i410-bexar-guadalupe-county-line.html.