Friday, March 6

I-10 Far East San Antonio: Eastbound Traffic Switch This Weekend

As construction progresses on improvements to I-10 between I-410 and Loop 1604 on San Antonio’s Far East Side, eastbound drivers will soon experience another traffic pattern shift in the eastern-most portion of the project area.

Since Summer 2019, commuters have been driving on new concrete pavement in what was formerly the center median area of I-10 from just west of I-410 to Loop 1604. 

The traffic switch to this new pavement is necessary to allow crews to widen and reconstruct the outside eastbound mainlanes and shoulders of I-10, a key step in achieving an ultimate I-10 footprint that includes one additional mainlane in each direction.

This weekend, eastbound mainlane traffic is scheduled to be moved from the median area back to the newly reconstructed outside mainlanes/shoulders (see picture) in the eastern-most section of the project between Woodlake Parkway and Loop 1604.

This will free up the median area pavement for a future westbound traffic shift – currently planned for next weekend – which will allow crews to begin reconstructing the outside westbound mainlanes and shoulders from Loop 1604 to Woodlake Parkway.

From 8 p.m. today (Friday, March 6) until 5 a.m. Monday (March 9), drivers in this area can expect the following closures/sequence of activities:
  • The right eastbound mainlane of I-10 will be closed from Woodlake Parkway to Loop 1604 as crews place barriers for the traffic switch.
  • The eastbound I-10 entrance ramp from Foster Road will be closed intermittently. DETOUR: During these intermittent closures, drivers needing to access the I-10 mainlanes from Foster Road must continue eastbound on the frontage road and enter the mainlanes after the Loop 1604 intersection.
  • The eastbound I-10 exit ramp to FM 1516 will be closed intermittently. DETOUR: During these intermittent closures, drivers needing to access FM 1516 from I-10 may take the Loop 1604 exit, turn around and travel back to FM 1516.
  • Once all traffic barriers are in place, two eastbound mainlanes will be opened to traffic in the outside mainlane/shoulder area and the eastbound mainlanes in the median area will be closed.
  • The existing eastbound entrance ramp from Foster Road will also be closed and a new entrance ramp will open just east of Woodlake Parkway.
Following the traffic switch, drivers needing to access the I-10 mainlanes from Foster Road must continue eastbound on the frontage road and enter the mainlanes after Woodlake Parkway.

Additional traffic shifts in both directions will be required as new sections of concrete pavement are completed.

For more information on our work in this area, visit the project site for I-10 East from I-410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County Line. You may also join our email list to receive updates on major changes and progress on the I-10 improvement projects and follow our Twitter feed (@TxDOTSanAntonio) for ongoing updates and alerts.