Thursday, March 12

Wild Wild Far East Side: Traffic Switch Set For This Weekend On I-10 Westbound


The project to widen and reconstruct I-10 between I-410 and Loop 1604 on San Antonio’s Far East Side continues to progress, with our contractor currently making traffic switches left and right – literally. 

Last weekend, eastbound I-10 traffic was moved from the median area to the newly reconstructed outside mainlanes and shoulders between Woodlake Parkway and Loop 1604.
That traffic switch was necessary to make way for work on the westbound mainlanes in the eastern-most section of the project area – set to kick off this weekend. 

Beginning at 8 p.m. tomorrow (Friday, March 13) through 5 a.m. Monday (March 16), westbound I-10 drivers can expect the following closures/sequence of activities between Loop 1604 and Woodlake Parkway as part of the next traffic switch: 
  • The left westbound mainlane of I-10 will be closed from just east of Loop 1604 to just west of Woodlake Parkway as crews place barriers for the traffic switch. 
  • Once all traffic barriers are in place, two westbound I-10 mainlanes will be opened to traffic in the median area and the outside mainlanes/shoulders will be closed.
  • The westbound exit ramp to FM 1516 (see photo above) will be closed as crews construct a temporary tie-in from the relocated westbound mainlanes to the exit ramp. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 mainlane drivers needing to access FM 1516 may take either the Loop 1604 exit and travel west on the frontage road to FM 1516 or take the Ackerman Road exit, turn around and travel back to FM 1516.
  • The westbound FM 1516 exit ramp will reopen as soon as the tie-in is complete, which is anticipated by no later than 5 a.m. Monday (March 16).
This weekend’s traffic switch ushers the beginning of more work to come on the westbound side of I-10. 

Next weekend (starting March 20), crews will switch eastbound I-10 traffic from the median area to the outside mainlanes and shoulders between WW White and Ackerman Road. This is necessary to make yet another traffic switch the following weekend (starting March 27) to move westbound I-10 mainlane traffic to the median area. 

All these moves may prompt you to ask: Are we overseeing a construction project or a game of chess? There are admittedly quite a few similarities, with a series of strategic traffic moves required to achieve the ultimate goal – in this case, to free up sections of the westbound I-10 mainlanes for reconstruction while continuously maintaining two lanes of traffic in each direction. 

As always, these closures are weather permitting and subject to scheduling changes. 

For more information, visit the project website for I-10 East from I-410 to the Bexar/Guadalupe County Line. You may also join our email list to receive updates on major changes and progress on the I-10 improvement projects and follow our Twitter feed (@TxDOTSanAntonio) for ongoing traffic updates.